The Arizona Disability Coalition
CALL TO ACTION!
The House Agriculture Committee Bill (H.R. 2), otherwise known as the Farm Bill, would impose harsher work requirements on recipients of nutrition assistance benefits (SNAP). The additional requirements will cause many people with disabilities and their caregivers to lose benefits. People with disabilities already have a higher risk of food insecurity, making SNAP benefits a particularly important intervention for the 6 million people with disabilities who are estimated to participate in the program.
The objections to H.R. 2:
- Forces adults with disabilities, who are not currently receiving disability benefits, to prove they qualify for exemption to the work requirements
- No exemption for those caring for children or adults with disabilities unless the individual needing care is deemed “incapacitated”
- Poorly designed and underfunded employment programs
- Recipients who work could still lose SNAP benefits
- Places an undue reporting burden on recipients
Tell Congress: Don’t Cut Off Our Food Assistance!